Eric Smeltzer, Capital Program Administrator
VISIONFacilities Maintenance oversees all capital projects, as well as repair and maintenance of Department facilities and equipment. The unit also helps maintain regulation requirements in areas, such as storage and use of toxic substances, food sanitation, infirmary requirements and occupational health and safety.
General activities include the following:
- Maintain physical plant systems of all state-owned and some leased facilities. (Physical plant systems include, but are not limited to, life-safety, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, lock, and structural systems.)
- Maintain all property infrastructure systems including, but not limited to, water and sewer lines, high voltage electrical distribution systems, walkways, and roads.
- Maintain grounds, including snow removal and grass cutting.
- Provide oversight of inmate work crews performing maintenance duties.
- Coordinate and monitor statewide service contracts such as trash disposal, pest control, various preventive maintenance services, etc.
- Coordinate the planning and design, and monitor construction on all major and minor capital construction projects.
- Manage and monitor all permits (environmental, etc.) and reporting requirements.
- Monitor all utility consumption and make recommendations to facilities.
- Prepare the annual capital budget request for DOC.
- Coordinate training and apprenticeship opportunities for Facilities Maintenance personnel.