Victim Services FAQ

  1. If I am the victim of a case, will I be notified upon the release of the offender?

    Yes, you will be notified in writing by the Department of Correction thirty (30) days prior to the release of the offender. It is important that you keep your address information and telephone numbers up to date. If you have moved since the crime occurred or changed your telephone number, please report these changes to the Department of Justice at the 800-870-1790. Also please contact the Victim Services Unit at the DOC at 857-5440.

    You may also choose to register with VINELink, the online version of VINE (Victim Information and Notification Everyday), the National Victim Notification Network. This service allows crime victims to obtain timely and reliable information about criminal cases and the custody status of offenders 24 hours a day. Victims and other concerned citizens can also register to be notified by phone, email or TTY device when an offender's custody status changes.

  2. If an offender is on probation and is also violating a civil Protection From Abuse Order (PFA), whom do I contact?

    It is necessary to contact the police department where the violation occurred; they will review the case to see if criminal action is warranted. It is also important to contact the probation officer who is responsible for supervising the offender. Listed below are the contact numbers for each probation/parole office in the state.

    Statewide Officers
    Location Phone Number
    New Castle County 302-323-6050
    Wilmington 302-577-3443
    Kent County 302-739-5387
    Susex County 302-856-5243
    Home Confinement Units
    Location Phone Number
    New Castle County 302-323-6050
    Kent County 302-739-5387
    Susex County 302-856-5243

  3. If an offender is violating the conditions of bail, whom do I contact?

    It is necessary to contact the police department where the violation occurred; they will review the case to see if criminal action is warranted. In some cases, alleged defendants are placed with a probation officer until the case is adjudicated through the courts. It is also important to contact the probation office to see if the offender is assigned an officer. If so, there are administrative procedures in place for the officer to work with the offender.

  4. What is SENTAC? What do the different levels of sentence mean?

    SENTAC or Delaware's Sentencing Accountability Commission established a system, which offers accountability from the criminal justice system to the public. Each victim has the right to know the sentence and may ask for and obtain the level(s) of supervision ordered for an offender.

  5. How do I find information about an adult incarcerated offender?

    If you are the victim of the crime of an adult offender you may contact the Delaware Department of Correction (DOC) Victim Services Unit at (302) 857-5440. This number is valid for all calls during regular business hours Monday thru Friday.

  6. What kind of information can I obtain about the incarcerated offender in my criminal case?

    The Department of Correction (DOC) by Delaware statute is required to provide the victim with information that is public record. This includes the charge (s); length of the sentence (s); level of the sentence in which time has to be served; sentencing court; sentencing Judge; and current housing location of the offender. Information including, but not limited to offender medical information and disciplinary information is confidential under Delaware statute.

  7. If an offender is sentenced to a number of years, does he/she do the entire time in custody?

    By law, the offender's sentence is reduced by statutory good time. An offender may also earn meritorious good time for participation in educational programs, rehabilitation programs, and/or work programs. More information on these programs can be obtained through contacting the Victim Services Unit of the DOC.

  8. Can a victim call the Department of Corrections regularly to make inquiries about an adult offender who is on probation?

    Yes. But only certain information about an offender's probation can be released. This information includes: terms/conditions of probation, programs the offender is ordered to participate in, whether an offender is complying with terms of probation and whether the offender is complying with order to pay restitution/fines.

  9. If an adult offender in my case has a job outside of the prison, will I be notified of his status?

    There is no notification if from a secure facility, as these offenders are constantly supervised. If from a work release facility, there is a publication in the newspaper every Thursday. When an offender is transferred to a work release facility, a notification letter will be sent to the victim.

  10. If the offender in my case escapes or walks-off from a facility, will I be notified as the victim in the case?

    The Department of Correction notifies the victim(s) when an offender escapes or walks away from a facility. Every attempt is made to contact the victim by telephone. It is important to make sure that current address and telephone number is kept up to date so that notification will not be delayed or obstructed. Please contact the Victim Services Unit at DOC to give current information for notification (302) 857-5440.

  11. Is a victim's address and telephone number kept confidential?

    Yes, this information is only used by Department of Correction staff in the performance of their duties.

  12. Why has the offender in my case been moved to a different institution?

    It is not unusual for the Department of Correction to move the offender from one institution to another. There are several reasons for the move but not limited to offender custody level, program needs, security concerns, disciplinary issues, and/or bed management.

  13. How can a victim find out if there is a criminal no contact order?

    The Victim Services Unit at DOC can give you this information if it has been sent to them on the documents received from the courts.

  14. If the offender is contacting me as the victim while incarcerated and there is a no contact order in place, whom should I call?

    Contact the Warden's Office at the institution where the person is incarcerated. The Warden will direct his staff to take the necessary action to resolve the issue.

  15. Can a victim know where the offender is going to live?

    A victim of a crime can know what county the offender is living in but not the exact street address. However, if the offender is a sex offender, he/she must register with the State's Sex Offender Registry . Addresses of sex offenders are available on the Registry. The Sex Offender Registry includes offenders sentenced after 1994.

  16. Can a victim obtain a current photograph of the offender upon their release?

    Yes, please contact the Victim Services Unit for the Department of Correction at (302) 857-5440 during regular business hours or email us at

  17. Where do I find assistance for victim compensation?

    Information regarding victim compensation can be found at the Victims' Compensation Assistance Program of the State of Delaware website: