Now Offering $3,000 Signing Bonus for Correctional Officer Series!
VISIONThe Delaware Department of Correction is the state's largest law enforcement agency. Our Mission is to Protect the public by supervising adult offenders through safe and humane services, programs and facilities.
The DOC has broad responsibilities, which encompasses prisons to probation and parole. Which we call a Unified Correctional System.
The State of Delaware utilizes Delaware Employment Link (DEL) for recruitment. With DEL you can:
- View job postings with specific information such as location and job duties
- Create a profile and application that can be easily saved, updated, and reused for future job postings
- Self screen and apply on line anytime, day or night to positions that interest you
- Sign up for e-mail notifications when openings in your desired field occur
The recruitment team is comprised of two Correctional Sergeants, working in conjunction with the Bureau of Administrative Services to build and maintain the more than 2,600 uniformed officer and staff positions within the largest law enforcement agency in the State of Delaware. DOC recruiters work tirelessly to attract new employees through job fairs, recruitment events, and community outreach. DOC recruiters actively work to attract new employees to the department, screen and select applicants, integrate the new personnel into the organization, and increase the morale of current staff.
Our ideal candidates have the capability to exercise initiative in their work, and have the aptitude to accept responsibility and handle difficult situations. They have the skill learn a variety of subjects quickly and correctly, in addition to possessing the mental and physical strength and endurance to remain calm in emotionally charged situations. Our candidates should possess the social skills and abilities that would enable them to communicate effectively with persons of various cultural, economic, and ethnic backgrounds. If you are seeking a challenging, exciting, and rewarding career we encourage you to contact us per the information below.
Employees in a Correctional Officer (CO) or Probation and Parole Officer series position will be eligible to retire under the provisions of HB363 if, at the time of retirement, they have completed twenty-five (25) years of pension creditable State service, and with at least twenty (20) of those years of pension creditable service as a CO or PO series classified position.
- Must be 19 1/2 years of age
- Possess a High School Diploma or equivalent
- Possess a valid Driver's License
As of July 5, 2020 , Selected incumbent's annual base starting salary is $39,380. Upon successful completion of the Correctional Employee Initial Training (CEIT) course, and after being assigned to a facility, the salary will increase to $44,000. Additionally the incumbent will be eligible for a 5% shift differential if he/she works four or more hours between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m
Upon satisfactory completion of department promotional standards and job requirements, employees may be eligible to be promoted to the next level. This career ladder encompasses three levels: Correctional Officer, Correctional Corporal and Correctional Sergeant.
Employees who have equivalent work experience from another state Department of Correction shall be placed on the DOC salary step table and receive qualified lenght of service credit for up to and not greater than 10 years of service for compensation purposes only. The State will make final determination on equivalent experience. Correctional Officer Pay Scales
- At lease 20 and 1/2 years of age.
- Possession of a Bachelor's degree or higher in Criminal Justice, Law Enforcement, Psychology, Sociology, Human Services or related field.
- Possess a valid Driver's License (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or diqualified from driving).
- At least 20 and 1/2 years of age.
- At least 60 college credits.
- Knowledge of casemanagement which includes assessing, planning, developing, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating options and services to meet an individual's human service needs.
- Knowledge of behavior management which includes understanding, explaining, describing, and predicting behavior, studying the connection between behaviro and its causes and identifying appropriate behavior modification strategies for individual situations.
- Knowledge of interviewing which includes using structured or unstructured interview techniques to obtain facts, explore issues and identify courses of action.
- Knowledge of narrative report writing.
- Possession of a valid Driver's License (not suspended, revoked or cancelled, or diqualified from driving).
Selected incumbent's annual base starting salary is $44,500, effective July 5, 2020. Upon successful completion of the Basic Offiers Training Course (BOTC), and after being assigned to a District Office, the incumbent will be eligible for a 5% shift differential if he/she works four or more hours between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m. Probation and Parole Officer Pay Scales
- June 22rd
- : Department of Labor (Multi-Employer Job Fair)Executive Banquet & Conference Center, 205 Executive Drive, Newark, De (11:00AM - 02:00PM)
- June 23rd
- : Department of Labor (Multi-Employer Job Fair) Concord Mall, Sears side parking lot (Wilmington) (11:00AM - 02:00PM)
- July 7th
- : The Grand Hotel & Spa in Ocean City (Ocean City Police Department) (10:00AM - 03:00PM)
- July 9th
- : iBrandlinks Philadelphia Job Fair at Temple University, Howard Gittis Student Center/Bell Tower Philadelphia, PA (10:30AM - 03:00PM)
- July 13th
- : Correctional Career Information Night at Steven R. Floyd Sr. Training Academy (245 McKee Rd, Dover DE 19904) (05:00PM - 08:00PM)
- August 4th
- : DelTech, Wilmington Campus (Department of Labor) (10:00AM - 02:00PM)
- September 16th
- : Department of Labor and The City of Dover (Multi-Employer Job Fair) Blue Hen Corporate Center (02:00PM - 05:00PM)
For additional information contact our Department of Correction Recruiters:
Sgt. Recruiter Jamie Bartlett
Sgt. Recruiter Richard BulsonDepartment of Correction Administration Building
245 McKee Road
Dover, DE 19904
General Information Employment Line:(302) 857-5298